View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #257
viduliya
viduliya began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
With just a wifi connection we can sync, update, and get books from the Kobo store, all without a computer on an activated Kobo Touch device. Why do we need a computer to activate the device?

If I must use Kobo desktop application for device activation, then I am all for having a Linux version of Kobo desktop. Make that application distribution independent and provide a simple tar.gz file. Let each distribution setup their own packages if needed.

Even a basic utility which just offered a simple terminal interface only to perform device activation will be great. Just so I don't have to go looking for a functional Windows (virtual) machine after a reset or when a new device is bought. I have two Kobo Touch devices at home and no maintained Windows or Mac machines.

It is a sad fact that a Linux based device denied activation with a Linux computer. I would love to figure out where the activation state is stored in the device. That would allow me to backup and restore activation state manually after a factory reset.
viduliya is offline   Reply With Quote