View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
What is wrong with the Iliad's power-saving?

This is an issue we have all talked about before, and it remains an issue.
So far, we have all been hoping for software updates to improve battery life, and they have improved. however, something is still gravely wrong. The Hanlin V8 and the sony Librié both manage to deliver loads of "standby" time. If you put them aside and don't use them the battery apparently doesn't drain considerably faster than it would if you removed it from the device.

the question is whether this will ever be possible with the Iliad. Hardware shouldn't be the problem here, the Iliad doesn't have anything (essential to reading) that the other devices don't. The Hanlin even has a conventional Touchscreen, so it should be even harder to use power-saving there than it is with the Iliad's Wacom (pen out, power on, pen in, power off).

I've seen a very worrying comment from the iRex developers on their forums, which is also the reason why I'm putting htis post up.

View the thread here:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?p=1901#1901

The line that frightens me is the following:
Quote:
You assumption is incorrect: although the screen doesn't need power, the processor, usb, mmc/cf slot, etc. requires power when the device is turned on.
Maybe we can finally get some iformation about the Power-Saving limitations of the Iliad in comparison to the Hanlin V8 and the old Librié, so join the discussion there and here and maybe we can get some idea what the Iliad's battery life will be and what it won't.

Apart from the fact that the power-hunger of the Iliad makes us very power-outles ependent, the fact that we have to reload so often reduces the life-span of our batteries quite considerably, and the battery isn't user replaceable...take that into consideration as well.
I really like my Iliad, no question, but the fact that it's power-saving quite possibly isn't going to be the Full on/off mode the other devices support really makes me regret not getting a Hanlin V8. The smaller screen and the ugly exterior don't really make the device more attractive, but it's more paperlike (booklike) properties are definited advantages...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote