Thread: Multitasking
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
PaulS
PaulS began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
A little tangential to the topic of multitasking: It's a very open platform so I hope a community will form around it like with pocketbook or irex so whatever features people want they might implement and share with others.

As for multitasking itself I don't think there's anything stopping you from doing it other then interface issues. There's no hardware limit to that other than memory (and 256 MB is a lot) and even that can be obviated with a swap partition. I run a virtual machine at work so I can use my favourite linux programs. I allocate 128 MB of memory to it. It runs a modern stock kernel and a bare bones debian (squeeze) installation. I mostly use it to read email and edit files but I can comfortably run a web browser inside it as well. I also use get_iplayer to download BBC radio programmes and a media player to listen to them, and sometimes I transcode a programme into mp3 for the journey home so my mp3 player can read it. All that in 128 MB of RAM. Presumably the linux install on onyx is a custom, lean, stripped down version so 256 MB of ram is plenty.

Having said all that I personally see no need to switch between two reader instances.

Last edited by PaulS; 01-21-2012 at 06:41 PM.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote