View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
They should offer an option where a new iPad is sent out immediately, and once you have your data moved over successfully, you wipe the old one and return it. If they have your credit card, and you fail to return the old one, they can always charge you full price for the new one. No technical reason you should be without a device for a week or whatever.

I had to return a defective Kindle to Amazon and that's how they work it. I had a new Kindle the next day, already linked to my account, and had 15 days to return the defective one, w/prepaid shipping. It would be the same for a battery-replacement scenario, except for the servicing charge involved.

The critical issue is how long the battery is expected to last and how long Apple can provide a replacement. Let's say it lasts 3 years. Will Apple still have an identical device to send to you for $99, and if not, what will you get as a replacement? Or will they just say 'sorry, we ran out of replacements, you will have to wait 3 weeks to have your iPad refurbished'. And if it lasts even longer than 3 years, the issue becomes more acute.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-15-2010 at 01:33 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote