View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #126
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Many people seem to have tried that without much luck (from what I've read), but that's not really surprising considering the number of times that the app has changed where it stores files on the system. The latest uninstall provided probably just doesn't have provisions to remove pieces of older installations in other locations/under slightly different names.

To be honest—(AND THIS IS BY NO MEANS A FORMAL RECOMMENDATION; DON'T TRY IT AND THEN BLAME ME WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!)—I'd deregister the Kindle app, from within the app itself (Tools/Options/Registration), then I'd go to my Amazon account online and make sure the app was deregistered there as well (deregistering it again there if necessary). Then I'd uninstall the Kindle app from my PC normally. Then I'd delete the "Amazon" folder under /USER/AppData/Local/ (I may have to enable "Show hidden files and folders" in my advanced folder options to see that folder). Then I'd use a registry editor (regedit) to delete the "Amazon" key/folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software (all the while remaining sufficiently terrified that I wasn't screwing up badly). Then I'd reboot my machine and install the latest downloaded version of the Kindle App from Amazon... register it and start from scratch.

**IF** I was adventurous and at least somewhat comfortable performing such tasks, that is.
I did all this except the registry editor (too scary for me) with one of the kindle customer service experts (the people you get transferred to when basic customer service is clueless) talking me through it all on the phone. we thought we deleted all the appdata/local/...but even he may not have known where all the previous edition pieces might be lurking. afterward, still have the no-show files issue.

at this point, it's behavior that I'm willing to live with until I update to a newer computer or replace memory and re-load the os on this one. or until I get frustrated enough to go through the whole de-register, uninstall.... process again.

I'm on windows 7 64bit if that might be a common element.

Thanks for the various ideas on trying to resolve this issue that some of us have.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote