View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's a great point about potential damages if trying to rebuild the Compaq in another case. I suppose I shouldn't make the move to a new case until I'm willing to replace the motherboard if necessary. At least that way it wouldn't be a big risk.

Technically, I don't really need that many hard drives. But I do have a lot of data, and a bunch of external hard drives that would be nice to put internal. I also tend to always have extra drives that I prefer to make use of rather than to spend money on a larger replacement drive. A lot of current systems also support RAID options, which I would like to try out. Plus I also like to have an internal drive to do frequent backups. (An external drive is still needed for backups on a less regular basis, but for the frequent stuff a separate internal drive should be sufficient.)

But the new system with the stock case, maybe with a new power supply, should be plenty sufficient to handle an OS drive, a data drive and an internal backup drive. My external drives can stick around until I either upgrade next time or I create a network storage server.

Come to think of it, with my newfound knowledge about the internal components, I might just take a look at beefing up my old DELL or Compaq (one will be my wife's and the other will be a Linux box) to handle some extra storage and share the drives. (Will have to look at whether you can share a Linux drive to a Windows computer.)

This stuff has really opened up a whole new world to me! I just hope I'm not going to get in over my head!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote