View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #15
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlewis View Post
Thanks, Caleb and CJ.

Are either of you fans of steampunk (meaning you go looking for steampunk titles)?

What makes for a great steampunk read?
just mix Dr. Who with the other classic steampunk series Wild Wild West. I liked WWW better being raised on it when it was new.

As long as the story has a campy or puply feel to it and, of course, the writing is solid. I'm good. I wish I had some specific examples in my head but there was one short I read a while back that was really very much a mix of an old western meets a classic pulp fiction with the requisite mad scientists and someone bound on world domination. Lots of fun.

There was also Bruce Campbell's old series The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. which actually had a plot and was cancelled just when the story was coming together. There was another newer Campbell, again, series that I never really had time to watch called "Jack of All Trades". I watched a few episodes and dunno if they were too over the top or what but even taking into account Campbell is no Oscar winning actor, the stories never kept my attention. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

Of course really Pirate's of the Caribbean is close to good steampunk for me. But I'm easy, and cheap too.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote