View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
frank.w
Enthusiast
frank.w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (sans 3G)
I use a couple of .5 TB "Free Agent" external drives with a USB interface. A couple of years ago I invested in a fairly sizeable Raid configuration for my main PC, and the one time I had a disc failure (because I forgot to connect the power to it after a fiddle with the cables) the system set about the job of re-building the missing disc and the next morning I had a complete system again. (be sure to un-plug the backup drive(s) after use).

Disc space is so cheap these days ($160.00 NZD for a 1 Tb internal Seagate) that *some* kind of backup is affordable. Partitioning your drives to keep your OS separate from your data also makes a lot of sense. I reserved 85 Gig for my old XP system, and 100 Gb for my Windows 7 setups and haven't even come close to popping those limits.

Free public spaces like Microsofts "SkyDrive" and the photo site "PhotoBucket" also offer affordable means of protecting your "non-easily-recoverable" data.

I wish I could report that I had an elaborate system of backing up all the new and valuable manterial that comes into my system -- back when I was cutting code I used "SyncBack SE" to grab all the new stuff and tuck it away -- these days its just a bulk copy of my more valuable user folders.

Frank

Last edited by frank.w; 03-21-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: thought of additional material
frank.w is offline   Reply With Quote