View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Okay... so having read up a little bit about unreliable narrators I think I can better articulate what I'm looking for:

A story with an omniscient 3rd person unreliable narrator that doesn't outright lie to the reader.

An example of what I'm hoping I can find:

Sally loves dogs but her parents are allergic and so naturally Sally can't have one. One day a new family moves in next door, and along with them a very friendly golden retriever. Sally starts to befriend Janet, the daughter in the new family, so that she can be near the dog and play with it as often as possible. Or so the reader is lead to believe, maybe by omission but certainly not by anyone telling an outright lie.

As the story goes on Sally and Janet become better and better friends, and one day Janet asks if Sally could take care of the dog while Janet's family goes on vacation. Sally agrees. However, instead of caring for the dog, she kills it. When a heartbroken Janet asks why, Sally explains that her parents are oh so very allergic, and Sally just couldn't allow a dog to live right next door to them.

I'm sure there's plenty examples of this when it comes to 1st person POV or limited 3rd person POV, but what about omniscient 3rd person POV? Or am I asking too much?
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote