View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #101
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
I'd like to see browser makers disable the ability of mods like this, or at least require them to expose themselves so that content providers can decide whether they want this traffic or not.
This capability already exists for adblockers, I imagine such detection would be similar for other related extensions.

It comes down to this - it is up to ME which business I choose to support. My Adblock is turned on by default. If I come across a site that I want to continue using, I will exempt it from Adblock and let the ads through. They have to give me something I want before making money off of me.

Too often, affiliate links are located on bogus content marketing blogs that serve no purpose other than getting people to click those links. They foul up search results because, on the surface, they look like relevant matches but they often provide completely inaccurate information and are nothing but advertisements pretending to be objective sources of information.

People end up there, and even if they see the info is no good, they may still click the link to Amazon or some other site because they can see that it starts with the proper address - it is going to a known site. They don't know that it's an affiliate link because there's usually no disclosure, and the don't know that the site that gave them no useful info whatsoever is going to profit from them if they buy anything in the next 24 hours.

It doesn't matter WHERE the money is coming from - that site is profiting without providing a service.

I have absolutely no problem with affiliates that DO provide a service I'm interested in, and I was happy to support them right up to the point where doing so means I have to hunt cookies.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote