Thread: Glo 2.4.0 bugs
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #125
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Curiously when I tried Fontin, it would show blank for "ff" (two characters), which made me suspect that the Kobo is converting to ligatures on the fly.
From what I remember seeing in discussions about ligatures in unicode font sets and why the fj ligature which is found in a couple of English loan words was not supported, the consensus was that ligatures should be supported in software and not in the font itself.

Using the example of officer, I don't find that much in the line of esthetic appeal from using the ff or ffi ligatures instead of f f i -- just noticed that my web browser is using ligatures for ff and ffi. The only two ligatures I really noticed in ebooks was in one book where the author used macron-AE and macron-OE characters in some character names. At that time I hadn't added any fonts on my Kobo so I saw either empty box tesk or box with question mark tesk for two of the character names which was more than a bit confusing when they were both in a scene.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote