View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #46
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And here's a slightly less broken MU patch, that attempts to kill the extra StartOffsets in the mobi8 part when splitting (and tries to avoid the guide entries without title in mobi8 in a slightly less stupid way than my previous attempt)...
I haven't used a version control system in ages and have no idea how to apply a patch to multiple source files. There seems to be a gazillion of Windows based tools to create patches but not a single one that can be used to apply patches to several files in a folder that doesn't require setting up a repository first.
Can you please attach the actual patched files or provide an additional python file that will invoke the python patcher module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
We've been experimenting with this here, as well. It's our opinion that it's a K3 rendering engine issue. When we dl your test file, the "go to" on my Fire works.
Thanks for your tests. So it seems that the Kindle 3 and the Kindle 4 have problems with this issue, but more recent models don't, which would suggest that there's something different about their firmwares that makes them behave exactly like KP.
The odd thing is that for once Calibre is more KF8 compliant than Kindlegen, because the guide items in the azw3 file that I generated with it, worked fine even on my K3. But as you know from your own professional experience, Amazon often rejects .mobi files generated by Calibre.

Since you're the one with first hand experience with KDP, here is a question that you're uniquely qualified to answer:
Will KDP a accept .mobi files that contain only KF8 or Mobi7 content without the source code that KindleGen embeds in the file?
I.e. is it possible to simply upload a KF8-only file with the azw or azw3 extension or does KDP always expect a .mobi file (unless users upload the actual .html or .epub source files)?

Also would you agree that a non-functioning Go to Beginning guide item is a minor inconvenience that the OP shouldn't be worried about since it will only affect two older Kindle generations and most people probably won't even notice that it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
What I don't know is exactly what I do in each case to take what is in the folder and put it on the device. I do not see a .mobi file to copy to it. The answer must be obvious, but not to me.
Actually, it isn't that obvious at to us mere mortals. There are several different versions of mobiunpack. The latest incarnation, comes with a python wrapper GUI (.pyw) that allows you to split a combo file into 2 binary files. (You'll need to check the Split Combinations Mobi Files option to generate .mobi and .azw3 files.)
NiLuJe has updated these files, but the patch that he generated from his updated files can only be applied by people who know their way around revision control systems. Hopefully, he'll attach his patched files, too.

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-29-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote