View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hence I return to my original point. If the old law provided the ability after 28 years, isn't that what would still have been in force for existing contracts? Or did the 1978 act revoke that right, and put in place a replacement that wouldn't come into force for another 35 years? If so, that seems very odd.
Harry, the law has nothing to do with making sense.

Let me give you an example from the movie world.

1, If I download a movie against the copyright (in the US) to my hard drive. I am subject to big fines.

2. If I buy a DVD of the movie, and rip it to hard drive, under US law I'm a felon, up to 5 years in jail.

3. If I record the movie off the air from Turner Classic Movies, under the 1984 Betamax Supreme Court ruling, I violate no law and can use my copy to my heart's content.

Same movie. Mostly the same quality (the download would probably be at lesser quality). #2 would net the copyright owners the most revenue, even after ripping (I paid money to the studio), but it's the harshest penalty.

Go figure....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote