Thread: Bible Framework
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #28
LaurelRusswurm
self publishing novelist
LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.LaurelRusswurm knows the way to San Jose.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can certainly put a copyright notice on it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that your claim of copyright has any validity. In the EU, you may gain the protection of a "typographical copyright" for your layout, etc, but only if you can demonstrate a significant degree of innovation and creativity for it. Many countries (eg the US) do not have typographical copyrights at all. The chance of having any copyright protection at all for your theoretical version of "A Christmas Carol" are close to zero, I'm afraid.
Well, then, I'm a bit confused why modern print editions of classics bother to carry copyright notices. I have lots, though not A Christmas Carol. If this works, it is a scan of the copyright page for my copy of Wuthering Heights.

Emily Bronte has been dead quite long enough to place this book assuredly into the public domain, yet it (and every other classic I own) carries a copyright notice. As I said, my understanding is that it pertains to the particular edition, because certainly the text of books in the public domain remain in the public domain when they are published. If there is another explanation for this, I'd be curious to hear it.

Last edited by LaurelRusswurm; 02-13-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: reducing the size of the scanned image
LaurelRusswurm is offline   Reply With Quote