View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:36 AM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I have to disagree, Steve. I don't think the publishers are anywhere near to being this much in control. They might make special deals on bestsellers, but in general, I don't think the publishers dictate at all what the stores carry, or how much, or what the returns will be. They might like to, but I just don't see them having that kind of power.
Jeffrey, your being "on the inside" of the publisher's world, and my being "on the outside," I defer to your opinion of the situation... it is clearly better informed than mine. I suppose my opinion comes from the outsider's perspective of how things seem to work to us... a sign that maybe a bit more transparency with regards to publishing is on order, to make the consumer understand the overall situation better.

I will point out that the impression I get from bookstores is that, yes, publishers have that power over them. They certainly seem to have no control over inventories, special orders, etc, that they will admit to. So, who's fooling who?

Quote:
Sure, there might be some fear of the unknown. But mostly I suspect it's fear of investing a lot of money in something that won't pay returns.
Agreed here, too. And yes, I also believe the publishers want to make a change, and are simply proceeding at a glacial pace due to uncertainty and tight budgets.

Quote:
As for high pricing--I hate it, too. But I suspect it's mainly analogous to not wanting to bring out a mass market paperback until a hardcover edition has had its run, not some nefarious effort to hold back ebook sales.
The only thing this doesn't explain is why an e-book would be released after a HB, and after a MMPB, yet have a higher price than either.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 12-09-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote