View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #64
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMee View Post
Hi,

I don't think its bricked - I'm still able to go into diag. I'm also looking inside your backup (on another linux box).

Question is - why would it not react to power button (HW reset) or simply boot up :-) /var/log/messages is slightly outdated in the backup and doesn't help me much.

Is there a chance that the local bootloader or similar got disturbed in diag / any of the related tools?

ItsMee
There were other discussions about this payload (mntus.params) not reliably running when you do a hard reset (long power button hold). It is better to boot to diags and do a normal "reboot" from there.

On linux file systems, there is always a chance of disturbing the file system if you do a hard reset (long power hold) while files are open in write mode. The normal "sync" (cache flushing) gets skipped during a hard reset or unclean power down. And the kindles DO write to the root file system occasionally, especially during startup (look in the startup scripts). This will be an even bigger problem when using "copy on write" file systems, as are in use on other devices, and are planned for in the near future on kindles too. A hard reset should be avoided if possible.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-24-2012 at 04:01 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote