View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
zeroxia
zeroxia began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I bricked my Kindle PaperWhite

Hi,

I have my kindle paperwhite jailbroken when it's version 5.3.5. Then the device upgraded to 5.3.6, and I re-installed usbnetwork, as well as the rescue pack.

The usbnetwork is configured to use wifi only, and automatically starts (I created both empty files "auto" and "verbose").

I had also installed the kindlet jailbreak, the KUAL launcher, and the JBPatch, then uninstalled them.

Then I added a symlink at /etc/fonts/conf.d/99-zh.conf, pointing to /mnt/us/fonts/99-zh.conf.

After I tried some fonts at /mnt/us/fonts, when I restarts the device, it is stuck at the spinning circle, with the bottom status line showing:

Code:
N tweaking iptables config
Then I ssh into the system and removed the /etc/fonts/conf.d/99-zh.conf symlink. But restarting the device still got stuck at that point.

But the SSH was reachable, when I login via ssh, the console output this message:

Code:
WARNING! The remote SSH server rejected X11 forwarding request.
#################################################
#     E R R O R  *  E R R O R  *  E R R O R     #
# x.conf failed to start. Reboot limit reached
# REBOOTS=2, REBOOT_LIMIT=1
# To log into the device, remove files:
# /var/local/upstart/x.restarts
# /var/run/upstart/x.restarts
[root@kindle root]#
I can find one of above "x.restarts" file, but I forgot which one. And removing that file still couldn't get pass the spinning circle. And that "x.restarts" file just showd up again.

Then I made this disastrous move:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3
I thought erasing the /var partition would get away of those annoying restart counter files.

Now the device is totally stuck at the spinning circle, plugging it to computer can show a new driver letter (on Windows), but there is no drive found (as prompted by Windows), and after a few minutes, the device restarts automatically, freezes at the spinning circle again for a couple of minutes, finally it shows the "Your Kindle Needs Repair" screen.

On the starting screen, there are the "verbose" status lines, but I just realize that the Wifi connection setup is probably stored at /var, and that's missing now, so without network the SSH shell is not available anymore....

Is there anyway to rescue this? Thanks in advance.
zeroxia is offline   Reply With Quote