View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
floriano
Enthusiast
floriano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Duokan and dictionaries

Hello,
I recently installed the English Duokan firmware, which seems to be a good alternative to the original firmware, particularly regarding the better pdf support.

I am struggling a bit with the built-in dictionary support. I read that it is possible to use stardict dictionaries with Duokan. However I woudl like to be able to use the dictionaries which have been delivered with my kindle 3 (eg the oxford dictionary).

Furthermore I would like to be able to use them as easy as with the original firmware, meaning that I just have to move the cursor to the word I want to lookup and the dictionary content appears on the screen. Since I don't want to use freedict dictionaries and was not able to get my preinstalled dictionaries working I could not find out whether this feature is supported or not. But the FAQs do not mention this way of accessing the dictionary.

EDIT:
I tried to use a stardict dictionary (copied the idx, ifo and dict files to DK_System\system\dict\) but when launching the dictionary I get a blank screen, followed by a progress bar of Duokan (for about 2 seconds) and it returns back to the main screen.

Looking forward for help!

Last edited by floriano; 01-24-2011 at 06:27 PM.
floriano is offline   Reply With Quote