View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
the href are actually there in a tooltip inside the TOC & reading order, I guess I could add their position from the spine to make sure they are it the right order.
I see that now, but those are NOT the <href=>'s I was thinking about above. The thought I had, to add more functionality to existing ebooks, was the have ALL href's in the ebook listed on that Add screen along with their anchor's internal filename and then be able to pick and choose amongst that list to add to the existing TOC. In essence, the user could then have the opportunity to add footnotes under relevant Chapters so as to access them from the toc.ncx. Again this is only important for those that have no hardware/software mechanism to get at those internal links.

My idea was to be able to add a two new TOC level1 entries, one called "Embedded TOC" which could house those links found in older style ebooks (like what Project Gutenberg produces) just for the embedded Table of Contents and List of Illustrations at the beginning of the ebook. The other, called "Internal Links", would be for ALL relevant footnote or "in page" links.

I wouldn't expect your ePubFixer to actually change/add to the TOC, just be able to access that listing of (other) href's used within the epub. The user would then be at liberty to determine which could be retained/discarded and add soley those from the Add screen to the existing TOC. Food for thought!

All this is to accomplish one goal, to embellish the existing TOC in ways Sigil, nor calibre could do algorithmically.

Quote:
- I was extracting the file when opening the TOC editor (only for the preview), but didn't see any kind of slow down (on my Core i7), maybe your large ePub was why it was waiting to have it all extracted.
Yes, the epub was large; its an epub of an entire website I downloaded almost 5 years ago and contains almost 1700 items in the <spine> section of the .opf (it has that many .html files plus almost 1500 images within). So that's probably too extreme a test case, but just highlights the fact that while loading/filtering the items, the GUI should not close until the Edit TOC screen actually is ready...

This is the TOC screen Click image for larger version

Name:	ePubFixer_TOC.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	65285 I see after loading that gargantuan .epub and one of my first thoughts was to create a new Level1 entry for "A" and then move all the Mathematicians with lastname starting with "A" therein. I would need to be able to add a New entry, then move the existing ones therein.

Quote:
- The reading order should open after the TOC editor, they should not be opened at the same time, I can see why it could be useful, but having two thread writing to the same file could be disastrous.
Yes, I see that now, and you're right about editing the same source files at the same time and the potential for disaster.

Quote:
- If you have a blank screen in the Add windows, there is 2 possibility:
1 - All the files are already present in the TOC or Reading order
2 - The program looks inside the manifest to find files to add, it look of file of type html (or xhtml), if the type is something else it is normal it didn't show them. I already did a fix (not yet released) that will also look at the file extension, if the type is not html.
Good to know. Now if you could add other internal links (like the aforementioned ALL href's) that can be listed and added, then were looking good....

Quote:
I tried with a lot of file, but not everybody uses the same specs, so it hard to determine all book. Maybe you could send me your book or just your toc and opf file to at least be sure, if there should be something in the Add window.
Sorry, that epub is copyrighted and made for my own use. If you want to see the .opf then I could email it to you. Just PM me.

Quote:
About the initial form hiding I could leave it opened, it just seemed more clean this way (I might not have anticipated the impact of very large files, all my test where almost instantaneous). That is why I posted it, to have user comments, I feel that right now it does everything I wanted to do, but there might be something else to add.
If you are willing to entertain our comments, then I'm willing to provide same.

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-22-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typos
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote