View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Ham Cannon
Enthusiast
Ham Cannon doesn't litterHam Cannon doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony Reader 505, Kobo Touch, iPad 1, iPhone 4
Damaged screen - any options?

Due purely to my own clumsiness, my 505's screen now has an ugly little mark on it. I had been working around the house and had my leatherman multitool dangling from my belt loop; forgetting it was there, I noticed that the reader's screen was getting kind of greasy, so I went to wipe it on my shirt. The corner of the leatherman cracked into the screen and made a little dent or divot in it. The area of the dent seems to be permanently blackened, like the e-ink in that area is constantly switched on, even when the screen is off.

It's not catastrophic, just a little dot maybe 3 millimeters in diameter--smaller than a single character of text. It's not worth buying a new reader or paying a lot to have this one fixed, but it's still driving me kind of nuts. This is a long shot, but is there any magic that can be done--with pressure, magnets, what have you--that might be able to reduce the appearance of the mark? I bought it from someone on Craigslist so warranty or insurance protection is not an option.

Thanks!!
Ham Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote