View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #40
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
busybox does not use the search path for any functions that it includes (including wget if that particular busybox includes wget). Some versions in kindles do not even check the symlinks in /bin. You can even delete those symlinks to busybox if you are using its shell (sh or bash).

After chroot you need to start another shell from a busybox that either has a good wget, or that has no wget and use a separate wget program.

On the k4nt, I was able to get optware ipkg working by mounting and using the busybox in the diagnostics partition (a different version with different included functions).

On the k3, it all just worked, so I did not check into it very deeply.

The REAL problem with optware on the touch is that there is not much free memory, even after stopping the GUI framework.

I and another developer bricked their kindle touch while trying to use optware on it. I used the serial port to recover. The other developer sent his bricked device back to amazon. Now it can be debricked in most case using the tar bug.

Optware (and a full debian chroot) worked great on the k3, but later kindles have been plenty of trouble.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote