View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiri View Post
I must admit not really getting the issue anyway - these files are tiny. Hard drive space is about as cheap as it gets, and books are tiny. My Kindle has about 180 MB of free on-board memory and a 2GB SD card, and it holds approx 2200 books.

Jiiri
Hard drives are huge and cheap. Storage on handhelds is another matter.

My device is a Tapwave Zodiac 2, which is a PalmOS PDA. It has two SD card slots, and a 2GB card in each.

My main ebook reader is Plucker, and I create Plucker files using the high compression option, which uses a Palm port of Zlib (supplied with Plucker) to decompress. I have about 3,200 Plucker volumes on the first SD card, occupying about 1.5 GB. If I used standard "doc" compression, I'd have to either remove books, spread the Plucker library over more than one card, or switch to a 4GB card. (The first card holds installed applications that live on the card and a variety of other things besides Plucker files.)

My Mobi files are on the second card, which is mostly occupied by videos played with TCPMP. There isn't a lot of free space there, either.

4GB cards are in my future, but not until I don't have another option. If I can use high compression to save space, I do so.

And as it is, I'm lucky. The Zodiac takes 2GB cards out of the box, and the installation of a FAT32 driver ripped from a LifeDrive lets it handle 4GB cards. (It does not handle SDHC cards, so higher capacities aren't possible.)

There are people readign ebooks on older Palm devices that don't handle cards larger than 1GB, and people running things like Sony Clies which use Memory Sticks with a maximum capacity of 128MB. Guess how enthusiastic they are about files larger than they have to be?

Yes, I'm a pack rat. I like to have my entire electronic library on my device, and not have to select a subset because there isn't room for everything.

My inclination is to create the smallest ebook file supported by the reader, for benefit of folks who feel the same way and may have less available space to hold things.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote