View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #35
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I'm going to agree that I think that the big win will be for the company who makes people believe that they're getting a real deal, something for free. I doubt it matters if they are getting some content for free (say, 10 books) or if they pay full price but get a discount on the actual device. But people like a bargain, even if it's only an illusion.

I'm not sure the idea of renting a limited number of books is quite as appealing, since I think in most cases, it defeats one of the real selling points of a reader - the sheer number of books you can store at any one time. But maybe it's just not preaching to me.

Finally - the how will we get the kids interested is my favorite question. It's been well over 20 years since I had to "invent" something for a class project, about the one thing you wished existed. It feels surreal that I'm currently living in the future I dreamed of when I was a kid - because ereaders, with their ability to store so many books at the push of a button - was exactly what I wrote up.

It's kind of nice to be living my own dream Next up, flying cars.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote