View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #123
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I do browse in bookstores and occasionally buy a book, but as a present for someone, not for myself.
I pretty much exclusively buy novels in an ebook format. often as I already know the author as I may have read his books or on recommendation or I have read a free preview book by the author online.
On more than one occasion I have got the first book free as a a way of pulling me in, liked it and bought the rest of the series.

Personally I don't get much out of browsing books in bookstores anyway and never had really,
How can you seriously tell what a book is gonna be like by flipping through a few pages anyway?
The online experience is much better for me.

As long as I avoid the big authors who usually charge more than it costs for the pbook, I will usually get freebies and lots of review/synopsis info etc and it'll be a lot cheaper. I'm used to pay between 99 cents and a few dollars for a book by a self published author now. No way I'm paying $15+ for a book from a big name author.

I DO buy pbook gaming books (for tabletop RPGs) and I make an effort to goto our local bricks and mortar gaming store. He's friendly, accommodating, knowledgeable of his products and I'm happy to pay a bit over the odds vs online for that.
If I can't get it from there (for example self published independent POD books) Often I an get the PDF for free (legally) and if I like it pay for the pbook version of an RPG to be printed and sent to me.
You can't do that in a bricks and mortar bookstore.

Personally if a bricks and mortar bookstore tried to charge me to browse, I would leave and never come back and tell everyone I knew about their practice as well in disgust.

If bricks and mortar bookstores can't adapt then good riddance, I won't miss them.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote