View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #157
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Well, to be fair I don't have that many articles in my stashes. Just a few hundred probably, and only a small portion that I still refer to (vs. just citing from memory or from past papers I've written).
Ooo, citing from memory--living dangerously there, dmaul! Either that or you have a much better memory than I do.

It helps that your filing system has to please only yourself :-)

The file-by-topic unorganized system would have been tough for me, as a paper could be about protein 1's a) structure and b)biochemistry but also the first reference for method Z, so I would be wondering where to file it. Hence the one big box sorted by name method.

Quote:
And library? Who goes to the library anymore? I've probably been 2 or 3 times in the past couple of years and that was to just grab a book. Pretty much every worthwhile journal in my field is fully available electronically now.
Yeah, I suppose my age is showing :-) The library's website is more important than the library now. I adore electronically available journal articles; it's *so* much quicker than going on a reference run. My arms used to get tired carrying all those journals over to the photocopier.

The downside, alas, is when you lose university status, you can't access anything anymore, whereas you used to be able to look at the paper journals the same as before; you just couldn't check anything out.

Quote:
But they definitely need to get a better suited device out for researchers who do want an electronic device to read and annotate academic PDFs easily.
Yeah, the Kindle isn't there. There's *got* to be a market for this kind of thing. I know I'm not the only one.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote