View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I agree. Don't sync. Drag and drop the books (files) right on the reader. Once you connect to the pc, the books on the reader will show up in the library. To me it sounds as if the library adds one more "shortcut" to the book every time it syncs. I had this happen with collections. If I moved the same book multiple times into a collection, the book showed up as many times I moved it there, even though (if you check the readers memory via e.g. Windows explorer) there was only the one file I dragged and dropped.

As for not using calibre:
Calibre organizes books (great). But to know where the book is, it must make a copy of the book within a folder it creates upon installation. I rather organize my stuff plain old school in folders on my hard drive. And I don't need multiple copies in places I don't know. So, it's a database. It attaches settings for the individual book (tags, names, ...). I didn't write the program, so I don't know what goes into metadata and what is stored within the database. For example: go to the setup folder where calibre stores books. Delete a file. Start calibre. Does the book still show up? Is it gone? Is data concerning the book still in the database even though the file is missing?
That's why I prefer organizing my stuff in folders.

No offense, this is just me and my 2 cents.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote