View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It will make the device more versatile. And that, somehow, sells better.

Example:

Remember the days when you had a mobile phone and a MP3 player and a photo camera? Now, people seem to want them all in one device. And, please, add the PDA to it as well. Oh, while you're at it, add an e-reader too!

Personally, I don't like that development (oh shoot, I drowned my mobile phone, and now I can't listen to my MP3 player anymore, and I really would have loved to take that picture, I've no idea what is in my calendar and I can't finish that book anymore!). I like having several devices for different functions (so, after I drowned my phone, I still had my PDA on which I keep my calendar and read my books, and my photo camera to take pictures with).
I have to say, that personally, I like converged devices when the convergence doesn't sacrifice the performance of any of the functions. Therefore, bringing PDAs and phones together was brilliant and has allowed me to connect to systems in all sorts of places where I don't have access to a traditional computer. A function like that couldn't be done by either a PDA or a phone alone. Ebook reading and PDAs go together naturally.. heck in that sense the convergence is really where ebooks got their start.

As for cameras.. never been a big fan of camera phones... They are not nearly as good as a dedicated camera.. but they are convenient every once in a while.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote