Thread: Sad Sigil news?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #28
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
For my own use, in my own firm. It's easy to say that Sigil won't suddenly become unusable, but if John decides to drop it, it could go the way of many previous products fairly quickly. And in the ever-changing world of ebook-making (remember: we do this commercially), I may need other things to be added. It has nothing to do with "development that people will not approve of," it has to do with paying someone to make development or addons or whatever for my own use.

I don't know what the "standard" level of support is for Sigil, in terms of money. I can say that we've supported Sigil to the best of our abilities and, I believe, paid quite a lot more than we would have for X licenses of a commercial product. If the point of push has met shove, and in order for it to be maintained, paid-by-contract programmatic help has to be retained, then, in order to meet Valloric's original stated restrictions, and to keep my firm using it, I may have to fork it. It's as simple as that. I have very different concerns than most of the hobbyist users who frequent this board. That isn't to diminish their skillsets, or anything like that--many of the posters here are extraordinarily skilled and talented--but they're not running commercial firms, and can suit themselves more than I can, or "make do" with an older version of Sigil for far longer than can I.

Hitch
Dear lady,
If you were willing to pick-up Sigil and develop it as a commercial product, I for one would be willing to pay a fair price for it. This is especially true if buyers were able to recommend changes and additions and pay for upgrades This would also ensure that all your requirements are met and also offset some of your costs and possibly make a profit. I am also interested only in windows.

Now I will duck behind a barricade.

Last edited by crutledge; 09-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote