View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #15312
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
This will be my first Jane Austen novel. Not exactly sure what to expect. I'm guessing its a good thing that I prefer the (British) English dictionary over the American one. I imagine it will come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're not familiar with early 19th century British society, you may find it easier to get a version with footnotes, such as the "Penguin Classics" editions, or else you may struggle slightly. One very useful thing to know, for example, is that when someone is called "Miss X", where "X" is the surname, this always refers to the eldest daughter of the family. Younger daughters will always be referred to by their Christian names. If you don't know this, you may get confused about who's being referred to.

Well I started reading Persuasion about four days ago, but have not had the opportunity to pick it back up in the last three days due to RL obligations. I've discovered:

1. It is actually much easier to read/understand than I was expecting.

2. I was right about the value of having an actual English dictionary (as opposed to American). I've already come across two or three "obsolete" words/phrases.

3. As easy as it may be to read, I, personally, need to read as much of it in one sitting, or in as many consecutive days as possible. I've completely lost part of the thread and rhythm of the story. Thankfully I'm only on chapter four, so I should be able to reboot and get back into it quickly enough.

4. Sir Walter Elliot is an annoying idiot!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote