View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I wonder if we are starting towards the tipping point, where ebook sales are going to start to overshadow pbook sales? And, if so how much longer it will take before the whole industry shifts and the big publishers find their best authors moving to "self" publishing?

I mean, how many books will people like Steven King or James Patterson need to write, where the ebook copies outstrip the pbook copies before they say, "Screw the publishers and their giving me $0.70 a copy, I'll get it up on Amazon without them and take $3.00 a copy".
However for many that would still be shooting themselves in the foot. Publishers do a lot more for them, such as editing the book, making sure it get into the appropriate stores, etc. Plus many of their contracts stipulate that the publishers have the rights for publishing paper and ebooks. The authors are then stuck in a situation where they would have to sever ties with their current publisher, and self publish, or stay where they are. Even if they leave, and try to go somewhere else, most publishers have the same basic terms, especially the ones large enough to support authors of the size that you suggest.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote