View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I say no because it is preformatted for a specific page size. True e-book formats need to be size-independent.

The funny thing about PDF, if I understand its origins correctly, is how it is an electronic repackaging of an physical printed page (in Postscript language). Talk about your circular work-arounds! Take one electronic file, send to imaginary printer, and capture that back to an electronic file (imaged for that imaginary printer).

I see it as analogous to my print-ready digital images. The universal electronic format is the RAW file. By the time it is ready to print I have done all sorts of things that narrow its focus toward a specific printer and print -- crop, DPI resizing (sometimes with interpolation), contrast adjustment, color gamut compression, and even specific sharpening for the print resolution and intended paper type. So that print-ready file is NOT a "general image file" any more. In the same sense, how can PDF be considered a general e-book format?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote