View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #60
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
But bowerbird, there might be a reason to wait for it, it is rumoured to have features that no other reader has...

It might not be $300, it might be on a cell phone like plan - $100 + $20 a month for a minimum of a year. That is different from all other devices, but it might still be too expensive for what it is.

It almost certainly has some sort of cell based wireless access, be it EVDO or GSM data. This is different from all other devices, but it might only access Amazon's own online bookstore and be next to pointless.

It may be available in Europe. Until last week, the only other device officially available in Europe is the iLiad, which costs significantly more than the Kindle is rumoured to. The Gen3 modifies this point, but this is a recent development.

However, yes, these are all rumours, speculation and guesswork. But we (the MobileRead community) enjoy this. It is like gambling without risking any money. In the end, some of our guesses will be right, and most will be wrong. People who dug up correct information get kudos, and the rest of us get a giggle.

I quite fancy an eink based reader, my wife has an iLiad and I would love to buy one for myself, but I choose to spend my £400 on other toys (scuba diving right now - perhaps I should wait for a waterproof and pressure capable e-ink reader with stylus so I can write notes while diving ). A Kindle might be exactly what I want for a more affordable price, I have my phone to read on right now, so I don't need to buy a reader immediately, so I choose to wait.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote