View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #8
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
But then there's the suit symbols...

So far, ALL of the readers that we have tested, namely: Sony reader, iPad, Kobo, etc... So far, ALL of the readers have capability to display the suit symbols properly when the font is NOT embedded to the .epub file.
No need for confusion! The range of extended characters that ADE supports without the need for an embedded font can be found in tables D.1 and D.3 of this document, which includes the club/diamond/heart/spade characters.

The iPad natively supports a much wider range of characters, and also includes those characters, there's a thread on it here.

Quote:
3) If your answer is "Yes, embed the fonts", then: Using InDesign, how can I embed a True Type font?
After clicking 'Export->ePub' and specifying the filename, go to the contents panel of the export options window that comes up and tick Generate CSS, Include Style Definitions and Include Embeddable Fonts. You need to make sure you've applied your styling through paragraph or character styles (but then you should be doing that anyway).

InDesign will only embed fonts if the appropriate permission bits are set, but the majority of fonts allow PDF embedding (which is not the same thing as embedding in an epub) and so will allow this. An increasing number of fonts allow @font-face embedding though, and there are threads about this in the epub forum.

Quote:
I would appreciate any feedback on this subject. Thanks in advance,
Topics like this are better handled in the general epub forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
I haven't tried it yet myself, but what I've heard from others is that if you submit an epubcheck compliant epub with embedded fonts, it will be rejected as having failed epubcheck-1.0.5 even though that error message is incorrect.
If that's true then Apple is being very, very naughty, but that sort of arrogance wouldn't surprise me.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote