Thread: iLiad How to replace /usr/lib?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Now, I have my ported and homebrew apps running with GTK+2.14.7 working on iLiad. But contentlister and ipdf still running with GTK+2.6. I am contemplating replacing the whole X and GTK+ in /usr/lib so that only one set of GTK+ running on my iLiad.
I have done a unsuccessful preliminary trial. Everything happened on my bootable cf, so it's safe to do everything.

Any suggestions, tips, hints, advice is welcome.
Can you be a bit more specific? What have you tried? what fails?
  • I don't see why upgrading X is meaningful
  • I would guess that replacing gtk/gdk/glib/atk/pango/??? with modern ones will work more or less... Is that what you tried on your cf?
  • Maybe it is necessary to rebuild the existing Iliad app against the new libraries?
Keep in mind that for the 'official Iliad os' it still is important to minimize memory usage (and those libraries ARE loaded in ram!)

PS: Some time ago, I managed to build recent versions of most of the gnome libs with the Irex SDK. I did not test them (other priorities: Lua with Gtk bindings). It is important to have a compatible set. (eg: a new gtk wil not work with an old glib). So you will probably need to replace them all at the same time...

Last edited by hansel; 04-10-2009 at 06:58 AM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote