View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #46
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Both iOS and Android have always had true multitasking ability, they just didn't allow it for 3rd party apps it was reserved for the OS apps. Recently both added a multi-tasking layer: iOS limited what can be multitasked to select services such as playing music(and I forget the others). Android open the gate to anything, the developer however is responsible for making their app multi-tasking. It's a deviation in philosophy form say PC desktop where the OS is responsible for the multitasking. As a result these mobile OS are much better at utilizing resources and conserving battery.

Hey it's the design , you can't snide a sports car because it can't go off-roading?

Implied from my paragraph above it's considered 'poor implantation' (for resource utilization reasons) for a video player to continue playing in the background so most players properly pause the player when focus is lost. As a result most are going to play nice. However if you dig around you should be able to find something that fits you bill.

Below are a few apps you might find useful.

There is a browser that is suppose called Maxthon that allows multiple tabs

Here are two apps that allow one to play Youtube video in the background so you can listen to the audio (QueueTube, pvstar)

=X=
I used Maxthon, but there seems to be a problem with its website identifyer (I set it to desktop, but some websites recognize it as being Android). I know they have tabs, haven't tried if videos keep running in the background in a tab.

Thanks for the youtube tip. Will check that out, perhaps it works for other flash video sites, too.

As for the "poor implementation". That should be more an excuse from the old days with power hungry components and limited RAM. Not to mention that I could do the exact same thing on WM 6.5 running slingplayer in the background without a hitch many years ago.

The right way to do it would be a "true multitasking" switch, which you can set globally or for specific apps or processes. Standard setting would be off, so that most users are not affected.

The current way is a little too "Apple" (i.e.: we know what is best for you).

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-02-2012 at 09:40 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote