View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #50
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This ruling is ridiculous in that it requires all devices purchased to be accessible by anyone with a disability. What it will do is force many libraries to abandon the purchase of ereaders altogether.
Would that really be a bad result?

To discuss this, it is worth looking at the Sacramento Nook collection:

http://find.saclibrarycatalog.org/ii...e=&target=nook

Lending out dozens of books only one person can read at a time makes little sense. It's true that some (but far from all) libraries allow patrons to borrow that many. But most patrons only take out a few books at a time.

Also, when I take out multiple paper -- or Overdrive -- books, I plan on reading, or at least starting, all of them. If I lived in Sacramento and took out a Nook, it would be because I had found one book I wanted to read. They apparently try to address this by making most devices single genre (romance, mystery, sci-fi, urban), I presume with the hope that more than one book will interest the borrower. I find this slightly insulting to readers -- as if all they care about is one genre. Even if it is true that some people only read in one genre, surely the library should be encouraging patrons to broaden themselves.

A goodly number of those Nooks look to be seriously overdue to the point of having been stolen. I expect Apple products to be stolen at a much higher rate.

If librarians in other cities read about this, and consider the disability issue as one more reason not to do it, good.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote