View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #36
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
I can't wait to read your open/honest judgment as to the prospect to reading thousands of pages on a device like this.
I read huge amounts of any kind of documents, even "normal" books. Even they
produce eye strain.
If you just consider eye strain you probably will be happy, but as other factors
play a role as well - they simply cannot be ignored.
Many people, I for one, are betting the house now on the Jetbook Color(rather on software improvements). And Ectaco seems to be rather dynamic it would amount to a small miracle if expectations could be met in time.
So it is mostly the PC for me - mostly for workflow reasons.
What kind of documents do you have to read? Is it scientific stuff or something else?
I use diagonal reading a lot(going through documents faster), hoping not to miss too much.
After having used some readers now I think we are still in an experimental phase. People mostly seem to be happy to be able to read PDFs at all and a little bigger than a 6" reader.
This is still a niche market segment with very unsual habits.
Just the fact that the company can only reached by a mediator(shop) is odd.
This is what my nightmare looks like

Diagonal reading is out of question.
If it was diagonal reading that would have made the things easier.
From what it was just said in this thread I am starting to belive that I might be dissapointed by the eInk experience in the end . It might be simply because the physical dimension of the screen makes the task impossible.

I guess an entourage edge in landscape mode will do the job in the end. I will use the ezPDf reader and the zooming and panning.

The other alternative would be deconstructing the PDFs and taking the time to reflow the document when possible. I would do that by saving the document in Word 2003 format (Adobe Acrobat X does that pretty well, I also used Abby PDF transformer for that in the past) . I will try to rearrange the document to fit properly on the page and go back to PDF ... PDF is essential for my work flow.

I noticed that there is a major difference between the PDFs written as technical documentation and PDF written for learning and books. At least the ones that I have to read. The first category uses the page to the maximum extent, not sure why. Those will be hard to read on a 10"

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-16-2012 at 08:39 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote