View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
If I understand you correctly, it's that there are no file with a summary for people with A, and you would just like to have them group together, so it becomes clearer? Or having 2 TOC's like 1 by name and other by date for example.
The main thrust for allowing one to add a New TOC entry with a src/href is as a temporary repository for existing level1 TOC entries that can be moved into it as level2 TOC items. This differs slightly from your program's TOC editing capabilities in that with your "drag 'n drop" method the level1 TOC entry name remains whereas in what I'm getting at, that dropped on level1 entry becomes the first level2 TOC entry within the newly crated level1 TOC entry.

For example, with that huge .epub, all 1700 Mathematicians are listed in Alphabetical order as level1 TOC entries. What I wanted to do (after the .epub was created from my .html/.jpg source using calibre and "cleaned up" using Sigil) was to create, using ePubFixer now instead of hand editing, 26 New level1 TOC entries, one for each letter of the Alphabet. Then I would move all the "A" Mathematicians into that newly created "A" entry. And yes, when that new "A" was created it had no src/href and was empty, but AFTER I move all those "A" Mathematicians therein, the first level2 TOC entry i.e. Enrst Abbe could be used to provide that "A" level1 TOC entry with a valid src/href (duplicate!).

Come to think about it, if you allow any TOC entry to be duplicated, like Ernst Abbe, then I could just rename the first one to "A Mathematicians" and then move the second "Ernst Abbe" along with any other "A" TOC entries therein afterward. It would accomplish the same task and NOT create any invalid/empty TOC entries.

This is a better approach since the TOC's src/href is already set upon duplication and so there is no need to "guess" or worry about how that empty TOC will be used by the user.

Another benefit of having a Duplicate option would be to allow another placement of say the embedded Table of Contents present at the back of the ebook, to the front.

Soooooo, can a Duplicate option be added to the Add screen instead of a New option?

Quote:
I have not fully checked the specs fully, but I don't know what an empty TOC will do with some reader.
Using a Duplicate option instead will not cause any empty TOC issues!

Quote:
Also about the Add screen, it only lists the file inside the manifest. It does not parse every HTML file to find the anchor value presents. Although it could be usefull,
That's what I had in mind!

The ONLY useful entries to add to the internal toc.ncx are links that not already there but which links? Your software can't determine that on it's own, but if you do parse the .html (ala Beautiful Soup) and extract all the href's and match them with their id's and note the anchor's filename, then those could be listed.

So, for example, if the first .html in the <spine> is "Text/Abbe.html" and has a footnote link, say footnote1 coded like <a href="footnotes.html#note1">footnote1</> then "note1" could be listed and added to the TOC as:
Code:
        <navPoint id="navPoint-24" playOrder="24">
            <navLabel>
                <text>Ernst Abbe - Footnote1</text>
            </navLabel>
            <content src="Text/footnotes.html#note1"/>
        </navPoint>
Quote:
Maybe a duplicate would work for you?
In a nutshell, YES!!!!!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-23-2011 at 08:06 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote