View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It doesn't need a lock. It's not as easy as you think to make purchases without the original owner knowing as you would think. All they could buy is books and the original owner would be notified of any purchases via email and could have Amazon remove the books and issue a refund. If you've lost or had you Kindle stolen and you de-authorize it, the finder or thief can't even buy books.

A thief doesn't have access to your credit card information because they don't have access to your account because they don't have your password. So even if they surf to Amazon via the browser they still can't buy anything with your credit card.

Now if you're silly enough to have all your credit card and ID information in a file on your Kindle... all bets are off.
It would be nice to have a lock to make it unusable to someone who took your Kindle, though. If you report it missing, Amazon will deregister your Kindle and the new person can just register it. They're not charging books to you but they get to use the device with Amazon even though Amazon knows you bought it and you're telling them it was stolen. They don't want to get involved. My husband's Kindle was missing a few months ago. (Luckily it was returned by a kind, honest person.) When I asked them if I there was anything they could do if someone registered it, they said no. I wanted to keep the Kindle registered to me and block it. They have no way to do that. People can deregister from the menu, so even if you register it to an account without a card, if they have the slightest idea what they're doing or poke around a bit, they'll figure out how to deregister it. If you locked both purchasing and deregistering, that would be quite worthwhile.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote