View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
... it seems as if all book managers have decided that My Documents is the place to store the books. Do any of those other book managers (K4PC or ADE) give you the kind of file level control?
Dunno Doc - I've never used them because they are a bit device specific or targeted towards only having one format of any given book. Given ADE is an Adobe el-cheapo Flash jury-rigged program, and K4PC comes from a company that doesn't even know what books it has the right to publish (Animal Farm, Nineteen Eighty-Four) then nothing would surprise me.

I'm a relative newcomer to ebook managers, so I'm inclined to compare Calibre with my photo (iMatch) and music (Quod Libet) managers. Neither of them default to putting anything into the Documents folder, or the Pictures or Music folders. iMatch likes to put its database in the home directory, and Quod Libet (a python app, that runs on all the usual suspects) puts its data into \AppData\Roaming\Quod Libet.

However, both iMatch & Quod Libet operate on whatever folder structure I use to store the data files. Given that photo & music managers have been around for longer than eBook managers, I suspect that this is the paradigm many newcomers bring with them - I know I did.

It doesn't bother me too much that Calibre imposes its own library/author/title folder structure with its particular naming conventions - but I do think it should do it somewhere other than the Documents folder.

The raison d'etre for the Documents folder seems to have been forgotten, it was created by MS in Win 95 as the place where the user is encouraged to put files that they will access via Windows Explorer, by double clicking a file to Open it - or right clicking it to 'Edit', 'Print', 'Convert' etc.

Which is precisely what Calibre wants to discourage its users from doing

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-12-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote