Thread: HTLM to EPUB
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga010 View Post
Code:
... ...
Creating EPUB Output...
Rescaling image from 1000x664 to 566x376 koeln.jpg
These lines from your conversion log give the clue to your image size problem. If you're going to be reading epubs on a hi-res phone/tablet you'd be better changing your calibre conversion default Output profile to 'Tablet' so that no image scaling is done. For a book which already has conversion settings it's under Convert - PageSetup - Output profile - Tablet. To set for future new books it's Prefs - Common Options - PageSetup - Output profile - Tablet

As for setting a specific font-family in an Android app ... this can be a can of worms as apps have varying abilities to set fonts. If it's a decent epub app, one method which should work is if you fully embed the necessary font files inside every epub and add the relevant @font-face commands to your css which point to the precise location of the ttf/otf font files. Calibre has an embed font feature on the Convert - Look&Feel page to facilitate this. I don't use it myself so you'll need to experiment. I don't know of any android app which understands css like font-family: Arial unless you have embedded the Arial ttfs and included the necessary @font-faces.

If you don't want to embed fonts (and I certainly don't), some apps (e.g. Mantano, Moon+, Coolreader) let you copy your font files to the android device itself (just the once) and have settings to let you choose which one you want. In this case you don't need to worry about the @font-faces and, as a general rule, I'd also suggest removing font-family: statements from your css - although generic settings like font-family: sans-serif may be OK.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-06-2014 at 06:23 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote