View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
Whackatagin
Tweaker
Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle / KOBO / PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I think there is a place for services to handle editing, preparation for print and marketing. If traditional publishers can adapt to doing this for ebooks, fine. If they can't, I'm sure many talented people will fill this need.
Indeed. Sub-contract and freelance support for digital projects is a growing enterprize for many talented up and commers. Within the trade these services are lucrative and reliable. But on the street, much like hiring a self-employed tradesman to do a job in your home, other than by recommendation or reputation, how can you trust they will do a proper job for you and not just take the money, mess it up, and disappear? A few cowboys can destroy the reputation of many, many good and competent people providing these services. People that new/aspiring/self-publishing authors could probably really benefit from working with, should they choose this this path.

If this role is going to be more common place and a practical option for independant authors, and I think it should be, how can they be regulated? The word of mouth option is really the only way at the moment, and that's hardly a suitable marketing arena for a reputable freelancer to grow their business and reputation.

I assume from your screen-name that this is probably an issue you have given a little thought to already, care to share?
(In principle of course, we're not looking for free advice or lessons)
Whackatagin is offline   Reply With Quote