View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
French short story collections?

I am looking for some recs for good French short story collections for a non-native speaker. I finally found a set-up that works for me for dictionary access when I read (basically 'ebook reader while sitting in front of laptop open to Google Translator) and it is my goal to read more in French. My spoken French is pretty good for a non-native, but my reading is weaker and I want to improve it.

I find short stories a little easier because you go in sections and 'finish' something a little sooner. I have progressed (in interests, anyway) beyond kiddie books, and I would prefer something that isn't positively ancient with archaic verb constructions and lots of passe simple if such a thing exists. What I would like is the French equivalent of those numerous short story anthologies on Project Gutenberg with titles like 'Best Ghost Stories' and 'Best American Humorous Short Stories.' In English, there are dozens from different countries (Best Russian Stories, Best American Stories etc.) or years (Best Stories of 1921, Best Stories of 1922 etc.) and themes. If there was such a trove in French, it would be perfect.

So...ideas?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote