View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #86
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeowl View Post
Don't you believe that critical thinking is an important part of education? I mean, if it's all about enjoyment, then... well... we may as well get rid of all classes but P.E. in middle school.
Critical thinking yes, but to make people believe that all works of literature have to be 'interrogated' makes it very tiresome and certainly put me off reading some of the 'classics' in the day.

I get a real kick out of watching my niece read for 'fun' and hope that this is not lost when she has to critique every comma, semi colon and phrase like most schools did in my day, let alone determine whether the author was happy/sad/deepressed/gay/homophobic/left wing/right wing/racist/feminist et al during the creation of the piece.

(FWIW: I hated PE, well I hated gym....big boned and clumsy.... )
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote