View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #122
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
NO! I already pay for it with my tax dollars!
And that's exactly my point.

The fact is, you don't "pay for it." You pay toward it. The tax money you pay isn't enough, but because you pay something, you feel as if you're paying for it all.

If libraries received no government money, people might feel more inclined to donate.

BearMountainBooks: We get the old bait-and-switch all the time here in California. I remember a proposition on the ballot to give several hundred millions of dollars to repair our deteriorating schools. The voters went for it, and the school district immediately began that $500 million dollar construction project for a whizbang new school on top of a field that leaked methane gas. When the school district did that, it effectively killed all school funding propositions for 10 years. The people didn't trust them anymore.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote