View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Copyrights on translations

Another question about copyrights in the US. I'm interested in doing an epub on a work first published in 1837 in French. There is an English translation published in the late 1960s, and I wondered if that translation has the same copyrights as a newly written book?

My feeling is that perhaps it does have copyrights but on the other hand, the translation is not really an original work - it required knowledge of French and of the subject matter, but given those requirements a large number of people could create a similar translation with only a relatively small differences between translations by different translators. Thus, little originality and no claim to copyright(?)

I'd apreciate your help on this.
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote