View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #42
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Depends on the circumstances. Let's say that you knew that a terrorist had knowledge which could allow you to prevent a terrorist attack that would kill thousands of people, and that the only way to obtain that information was through torture. Would torturing one person to prevent the deaths of 10,000 innocent people be morally justifyable? You decide.
I get to decide?? Morally, it may be, however, in this country (because we are signatories of the Articles of the Geneva Convention) it is illegal.

Even if I murdered someone I knew was about to murder someone else, am I guilty of murder? Morally, maybe not, legally .... absolutely.

Is France morally justified in persecuting innocent people who are "alleged" to have done something wrong? No idea, if they in fact did nothing wrong, then maybe not. Are they making it legal to do so? Yes, they are.

And, where your argument dissolves into a mess of poop is where you use the word "knew" .... try substituting "suspected" rather than knew. Say you suspected that someone might kill 10,000 innocent people .... no proof ... and your suspicions might not even be reasonable. Still good to go on torture?

In your view of the world, the Spanish Inquisition must have been one long picnic, with cake and punch.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote