View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
I don't know why Amazon is unable to negotiate better rates but closed device is one reason for this.
I doubt it. More likely is that they just try to recoup the wireless costs whenever possible. They also pretty much screw magazine publishers.

By the way, I don't think US wireless costs have much to do with "open" vs "closed." The US is significantly larger than the EU, with many regions of lower population density, and there is a lot of competition between providers. Also things like text messaging and data lagged behind European use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji
If Kindle was sold with an option to use a personal SIM card, there would be real competition between cell phone networks to provide better plans and with better data access Kindle could have more functionality.
Uh, yeah. I'd much rather make Amazon and the magazine publishers eat the costs, than pay for it myself and save money on a service I almost never use.

Thanks for playing.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote