View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I would like each month to be a unique category, in part because there will certainly be several genres/categories excluded, and I'd like to avoid arguments about "we should replace the second [classics] month with [my genre of choice]." Also, given that there *are* several more genres than we're going to have space for (although any book could be nominated at least once--in free-for-all if nowhere else), I'd like the widest possible variety of categories.

I agree that, on the practical side of things, it's not likely to make a whole lot of difference; many books will fit in more than one category. But I'd like the neatness of 12 months, 12 categories.

(As a side note, not related to voting: I'd also like us to develop a list of definitions, or at least descriptions, for the categories we settle on. I don't care that they be absolute, but I'd like some working consensus on what a "classic" is, and where the lines are between SF and Fantasy. I'd prefer we don't actually police nominations or decisions--if the MR nomination and vote process decides to select "Wayne of Gotham" as fantasy, or Charlotte's Web as a classic, that's fine with me. But I'd like to give nominators an idea of what's likely to be well-received in a given month.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote