View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Some good MultiFormat sf/fantasy they've still got:

Greg Bear's Blood Music. Novel based upon his award-winning short story. Frankly, I thought the original story was better as-is, but the novel does expand interestingly on the ideas introduced. Other works available. May be cheaper via Baen Webscriptions, which last I checked was discounting some of the E-Reads published books.

Fritz Leiber, Conjure Wife. Haven't read this myself, but apparently it's considered some sort of groundbreaking classic.

Mike Resnick. Several novels, many short stories. Ivory is another one of those award nominees I haven't read. I did read Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future and its semi-sequel The Dark Lady, and quite liked both. Don't buy the DRMed collection of his mostly excellent Kirinyaga short stories, or even the individual stories themselves. The lot can be had much cheaper via Baen's Webscriptions.

Lois McMaster Bujold, The Spirit Ring. An early fantasy, and not her best work, but decent solid reading and to the best of my knowledge, not available via Baen's Webscriptions yet.

James Patrick Kelly. Think Like a Dinosaur. Sadly, this is only the short story, and not the collection which goes by the same name. But this is an excellent, Hugo Award winning story which was also adapted into an Outer Limits episode. Many other short stories available from Kelly.

Nancy Kress also has a number of short stories up. Bundle savings link doesn't work, but if you like Tudor England (or at least Anne Boleyn) and time travel, I highly recommend And Wild For To Hold, which was a Hugo nominee. The Flowers of Aulit Prison is also very good (Nebula winner), and the basis of Kress' "Probability" trilogy, which imho failed to live up to the potential of the initial premise.

If you like genetic engineering and its social consequences, and are willing to dip into some gothic decadence on the side, Brian Stableford's got several collections of his essays on sf/fantasy, as well as his generally excellent short fiction (also some novels, but I prefer him at shorter lengths).

You can't go wrong trying Beyond the Colours of Darkness and Other Exotica for only 99 cents for 11 full stories (gothic decadence) or The Great Chain of Being and Other Tales of the Biotech Revolution, just slightly pricier at 2.99 for 7 stories, some of which have been featured in those Dozois Year's Best Science Fiction volumes.

More good MultiFormat older sf/fantasy can be found via clicking on E-Reads, Wildside Press as the publisher. There's Harry Harrison, Frederick Pohl, Robert Scheckley, Richard Matheson, Andre Norton, Kurt Vonnegut, Philip K. Dick, Cordwainer Smith, Leigh Brackett, Randall Garrett, George Alec Effinger, Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar series (not the best, but quite enjoyable) and many more.

However, most of the E-reads stuff is cheaper via Baen, which offers bundles and is currently discounting a lot of those titles down to $6 (and at this point, looks like it'll be in the business longer than Fictionwise might). But if you're burning up your Micropay and can apply discount coupons, then possibly the overall cost will be better via FW.

Also, if you don't mind the DRM, they've still got a bunch of Connie Willis' better books available (especially recommend Firewatch and To Say Nothing of the Dog, if you haven't read it already), and decent stuff from Elizabeth Moon, and much of Alan Dean Foster's popular Flinx series.

There's some recent Harry Turtledove if you like alt-history (usually US civil war/WWII-based). For a "limited time" apparently you can get the first two WorldWar books bundled for the price of one. 7.99 seems a fairly good deal for In the Balance/Tilting the Balance, considering that the individual volumes for the series normally cost 7.99 each.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote